Sunday, March 28, 2021

Editing Pt.2- Trying To Make This Feel More "Professional"

 Hey guys, it's me again. I kept editing after posting the last video, and I found out some new techniques and ways to work with my video. 

Filter

So, for the filter, I started doing this black and white background that only detected the color red. However, throughout my editing, I started to notice that my image did not have the quality and that kind of richness I see in a lot of movies. I wanted my shots to look more vivid and dramatic, not as flat as it was. Therefore, I started to shake things up a bit.

 From there I went straight to YouTube, looking up for a coloring tutorial for Premiere Pro. I found a video that compared two images: the before and after. I was mesmerized at how richer and splendid the quality of the after was compared to the before. This is the video: 


I found this to be very helpful and clear to understand.

Something I really liked about the video is that the narrator explains the levels that certain lines should be at when controlling highlights, shadows and others. The use of his simple method helped me gain confidence back. He also mentioned ways to make different clips have similar lightings and tints to them, which helped me a lot because I was filming in various corners of my house, some were very light and others had lots of artificial light and shadows. What I wanted my images to look like is kind of a more dramatic, greenish feel. I am slowly achieving that. The tutorial consists of more complex aspects later on, and I honestly am struggling a little bit on that part. I believe that I will find a way somehow though.

Sound

Something else I did was that I finally cut my clips the way I needed them, and I figured out how to lower the volume of the videos. I mostly muted the clips all the way, because there was a lot of chaos happening behind the scenes. Something I am considering is remaking those sounds, like how I was able to on a sound project I did a little bit ago. I don't want everything to have a sound, but I think having the audience hear the sink, or a scream, might make my piece more real and intriguing, as well as making it an easier context to understand.

 After taking off the sound, I added my free copyright music. I chose "My Sweetie Went Away", because the lyrics were just on point for my storyline. I know you, reading this, are curious to know what the lyrics are, so there you go : 

I've got a lovesick tale to tell to you
Though it ain't no fail of mine
It's about a gal named sue
And a boy named lou
They were fightin' all the time
Sue came home one afternoon
And found an empty dining room
Without a word
A turtledove had flown
Sue began to moan
? My sweetie went away
But he didn't say where
He didn't say when
He didn't say why
Without biddin' me goodbye
Oh I'm blue as I can be
I know he loves another one
But he didn't say who
He didn't say when
He didn't say what
His momma has got
That took my sweetie from me
I'm like a little lost sheep
And I can't sleep
But I keep tryin' to forget
My travelin' poppa, he left his momma all alone
I groan
My sweetie went away but he didn't say where
He didn't say when
He didn't say why
I know I'll die
Why don't he hurry on home?

There's a really nice potential that I saw in these lyrics. Even though it is about a woman talking about her struggling relationship and how she's sad that her husband went away, when it is put together with my story, it creates an interesting meaning. Basically, it's feels as if she was supposed to be sad that he went away, but it's the opposite. On the song, the woman complains about him leaving her; on the story, she makes it happen. 

Conclusions

My recent progress was basically what I have described, which, talking about it seems like nothing, but TRUST ME, it took SOME time. Also, I don't have so many other things to edit, so I don't think I have to worry so much about finishing it up quickly.
Oh, and my free trial on Premiere Pro ended, which is sad. I have to pay for it now :( 

Me, crying over money


By the way, I have this urge to tell the world about something that bothered me a lot, which is the fact that I USED A PAN TO KILL A PERSON on the story. A PAN!!! Like, for absolutely no reason. I could completely JUST have used a KITCHEN KNIFE. It would have been so much better, but for some reason I only realized that after I had already filmed everything.

I am going to do a lot of progress next week. Stay tuned for more :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

CR

          Couleur du Jour is a short film inspired by the idea of having “perfection” in society. It questions whether having a “perfect” li...