Sunday, February 20, 2022

(Day 5) Genre Hunting


1- What are experimental films?

According to StudioBinder, "An experimental film is a project bucks the trends of conventional cinema and pushes the medium of film in unexplored ways. The spectrum of experimental films is extremely broad; this genre encompasses a great many types of projects of varying lengths, styles, and goals."

2- How is my short film going to be an experimental piece?

The piece I am creating is very different from any label for genres, it is not a comedy not a horror, but rather a random mixture that works very well. I am not working based on a genre, but rather a message. I want to make an experimental film because it allows me to think outside of the box and try out new styles that seem intimidating. When I first heard about "experimental" it seemed like something scary, I mean, how could I make something while experimenting AND make sure that it was good? The answer was that I just had to like what I was doing. The experimental genre shouldn't be a restraint, but rather total freedom. 

   The diversity/importance of colors on my project

I think that this piece is not fitting of other genres because of how it tells a story through unconventional ways. It doesn't have an everyday narrative where dialog is the main way to go through the plot, the focus is rather on colors and the character's reactions to those colors. It's not about outside situations, but rather a conflict within people. 

 I am a little confused as to whether my piece could be deemed as experimental. I watched some experimental pieces like "Shapes and Colors" in hope to find something that resonated with how I want my story, but it was very different.


Although I do think it's pretty cool, it doesn't match what I am trying to make.


I think the experimental films I've watched are a little too surreal, it wouldn't work with my project. That means, I am in a hunt for a genre, a label per se. I want to talk in class with my teacher to see if there is any genre my story could fit with. But what if it doesn't fit with any genre? Is that a problem? I hope it isn't...









     










Sources

https://www.studiobinder.com/blog/what-is-experimental-film-definition/ 



No comments:

Post a Comment

CR

          Couleur du Jour is a short film inspired by the idea of having “perfection” in society. It questions whether having a “perfect” li...