Saturday, February 13, 2021

Starting Out (Day 1- Film Opening)

 To think about an idea for a film opening is actually quite hard.

But I know I will make it work.

Since my film opening has to be fiction, I know I am open to a lot of sub genres:

- Mystery

- Realistic Fiction 

- Historical Fiction

- Fantasy

- Science Fiction

-Horror

-Fiction-Action

and many others....

Questions to consider:

- Which is the most enjoyable? 

      The genres I am most used to or find to be more interesting are horror, mystery, and fantasy.

- Which area would I be most dominant at? 

     I consume a lot of horror content, so I am assuming I would be better at that.

-Which has an average budget that fits my own better (lowest possible)?

     This is a very general question, because you can always make something with a lower budget. However, I do not think that Science Fiction, Fantasy or anything historical would be suitable for a low budget. Maybe horror or mystery could be good, because there are no barriers such as costumes and setting, unlike the ones that were listed (historical would require costumes and a specific setting, fantasy could require a lot of editing skills). I need a genre that is more malleable. 

-Which has the most interesting, eye-catching openings?

        The genres that have the most interesting film openings are in between horror and mystery.

-Which have strong opening characteristics?

       Horror has the strongest characteristics because you can usually see a pattern of how things happen and what will happen next; many times becomes a cliché.

- What are my resources (people)? 

I can ask colleagues in my class period to help with the production, meanwhile I can have my personal friends or even family to be actors in the film opening.

- What settings can I have access to?

My house, my backyard, a friend's pool, public parks, etc.

- What are my strong points?

 My strong points are that I am quite resourceful and I can make a lot out of little. I am creative, and great with artistic skills (painting, drawing for storyboarding, makeup) and I can also sew! I have a camera and a tripod, and knowing y perfectionist self I will probably repeat shot after shot until I think they are perfect.

-What are my weaknesses?

Because I am a bit of a perfectionist (i know, annoying), I am aware that I can stress out about others being on command. I am not bossy though, but I get frustrated easily when things don't turn out the way I imagined them to. Technically speaking though, I am not super advanced in editing. I only have basic skills, but they are enough, and I can always learn more. I also am worried about time management in general, even with actors coming for shooting scenes.


Tasks/Homework to do:

- Watch film openings of genres I am thinking about doing;

- Choose a specific genre;

- Research needed skills and resources;

-Discuss different ideas;

- Take notes when noticing patterns;

- Do research on websites about topics.


Overall, I am really considering doing either mystery or horror.


Sources that inspired my writing (but no big research involved yet):

Write By The Sea: https://www.writebythesea.com/5-ways-to-start-mystery-novel/

Rotten Tomatoes: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt/top_100_horror_movies/

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-budget_film

Wave.Video: https://wave.video/blog/12-simple-tips-for-making-your-videos-look-more-professional/#:~:text=Shaky%20footage%20will%20make%20any%20professional%20video%20look,or%20set%20your%20camera%20on%20a%20sturdy%20surface.




No comments:

Post a Comment

CR

          Couleur du Jour is a short film inspired by the idea of having “perfection” in society. It questions whether having a “perfect” li...