Sunday, February 21, 2021

Research On Production (Day 6)

 Today I am going to research production for my video. 

This is going to include set preparation, helpful camera settings, important tools, certain editing skills, etc.

Set Preparation

Lighting

 Lighting can have a great impact on the look of a video production. It can make them look professional and polished, as well as amateur and low quality.
- When lighting a face for a video, it is advised that the light is put at a 45 degree angle to a side. A bigger light is also appreciated- it doesn't have to be an extremely powerful one- but the bigger the surface area, the softer and the more even the image will be. 
Sunlight can be really good for filming, however, you should not film with direct light from the sun, because it can give out really harsh shadows.
Having a mix of color temperatures could also be a risky move. When mixing the temperatures, the camera has to choose, and the outcome would be very unnatural.

- However, since I am filming scenes that are more dramatic, I will look for the elements that correspond to the mood and story of my video.
- The harsher the shadows, the scarier a scene or person can look.
-The less contrast in shadows, the more a person will look friendly and non- threatening.
- "Harder light, harder experience"
- You can direct a light to create more or less shadows, like for example when people tell stories in the dark- they put a lantern under their chin to look "scarier".

DIY Lights

These are some videos I watched and can go back to to get references:







Editing

For this project, I want to have really simple editing. The most complex thing I want is to have a black and white filter, but with the exception of the color red. I also want to add music.


The reason I want only one color to show up (red) is that the time frame of my video is in the fifties, and television would only show in black and white. Red can represent anger or passion, and can help foreshadowing my plot by using a red element at the beginning.

Camera:

The camera I will be using is most likely a Canon PowerShot SX420 IS. It is a very simple and affordable camera (that I actually got as a gift!) 

I was exploring the modes that my camera has, and I found out I could use plenty!

Portrait- best for people; blurry background.
FaceSelf-Timer- starts a countdown when detects a face
Low Light- Get a clear shot even in very low conditions
Fish-Eye effect: Shoots with effect of a fish-eye lens
Miniature Effect: Blurs top and bottom for a miniaturized effect
Toy Camera Effect: Darkens image edges to give extensive feel
Monochrome- records in single color tones
Super vivid-shoots images with super vivid colors
Poster effect- shoots images with a posterized effect
Long Shutter- Use longer exposure times for very dark scenes

Sources:







No comments:

Post a Comment

CR

          Couleur du Jour is a short film inspired by the idea of having “perfection” in society. It questions whether having a “perfect” li...